Contributors

Superbowl - Pelishek style

Its Superbowl Sunday. To this I say, so what? Usually in the weeks leading up to the Superbowl, I use the same line every year. I will start a conversation by saying "hey, who's playing in the Superbowl again?" and as the unsuspecting, well meaning sports fan begins to answer, I cut him/her off and say "oh, thats right, I don't care." I tried to avoid that this year because, well, it pretty much makes me a jerk.

Its the time of year I like to call out the people that make a huge event out of this game, lots of planning, decked out in their teams gear, etc. This is socially acceptable, but a guy who would rather spend his time watching a sci-fi film or attending a convention with other fans is quickly made an outcast. Anyways, I digress.

So what DO we do for the Superbowl? At times in the past, I've been known to be the outcast who pops in Star Wars instead. Although, while I've never had the least care to the game itself, there is something to the atmosphere of a Superbowl Party. Heck, I've been in charge of planning very large SB parties. Those, however, always involved a live concert for halftime, (rather than watching some top 40 crap artist) lots of give aways, and of course the food. This year we are laid back. Its more an excuse to make party food for us. I made my million layer dip, we've got chips, lil smokies, more chips, home-made roasted almonds, and more chips.

We are the type to grab a plate of snacks and sit down for the commercials, and when the game is on, its time for bathroom breaks and refills. Commercials during this time are facinating to me. They are usually very clever, but if you know anything about marketing, those commercials that really make you laugh usually do very little to sell a product. For millions of dollars for mere seconds, what does a company want to tell us? Its interesting, and usually entertaining.

So, when all is said and done, I sound more negative than I actually am about it. Nothing wrong with a couple hours of hilarious commercials and huge plates of party food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That million layer dip was truly fantasmic. In the middle of the game, we decided to hit up the sports stores because we figured they'd be super quiet. They were reasonably quiet... and I got a new shirt out of the deal. :)