Contributors

Seven Years Later

Becky and I just finished watching the 'ol wedding tape. It has probably been 2 or 3 years since I saw it last, and in watching it now, I made a number of thoughts, memories, and observations, that for some stupid reason, I decided to post here.

-We realized tradition is dumb. We did a few things our own way, non-traditionally ( like exiting the sanctuary through lightsabers), but there were a number of things that were done for the sake of tradition alone, things we really don't care about (like walking on flower petals and the wedding party acting so dang somber).

-I could TOTALLY take the me of 7 years ago in a fight. I mean, I'd seriously mess myself up without even breaking a sweat.-I think I only recognized about 64% of the people who attended our wedding. Who were the other 36%? No idea.

-Our wedding procession was slow. Not like procession slow, but like a shift-in-the-earths-polarity- tripled-earths-gravity slow. For a moment I thought the tape was not playing right. Nope, they really did move that slowly.

-Let's face it, since it's been 7 years I think it's ok - chances are we returned your gift for store credit. It's ok though, we used the money to dye our hair. Mine was blue. Thanks!

-Our plan had never been to have a DJ for our reception, we had intended to have live music, and went so far as to contact a few rock bands. Including Rebecca St. James. I don't mind telling you I'm glad she didn't work out. Although, we may have subbed her in for some of the song performances.

-At our reception, despite clear instructions that we would not kiss for the traditional tapping of glasses but only for songs that included the word love, that was still too much for some drunken relatives to understand as the tapping never did cease.

-A bingo game was going on on the other side of the reception building. The announcing was airing through both sides, so the opening prayers etc were interupted by the ocassional "B-9...THATS B-9"

-Pastor Bob rules. Hell ceases to exist any time he speaks.

-Many people felt the need to tell us that the raging hail storm during our reception wasn't a bad sign. It was the worst we had in years. What they failed to realize is that we couldn't have been more happy about it.

On a side note, it was also interesting to see not only who showed up for the wedding (still no idea on the 36%- why were people we didn't know invited?) but also those who were involved in the wedding party. Some have stayed true friends throughout, some not so much. Ever since that day 7 years ago, we have talked about doing a 10 year anniversary the way our wedding would have been with no outside influence. That said, go ahead and plan on meeting us in 3 years at Eagle Castle in Paso Robles for a decidedly non-traditional combination of wine & cheese, hip hop, and cage fighting.

No comments: