Contributors

Good German-Russian Food

The people of North Dakota have the usual mix of immigrants, and a unique people group- The Germans from Russia. It's a group of Germans who in 1709, moved to Russian to avoid persecution. Then a few hundred years later, they moved to America. I'm one of their decendants. And fortunately for me, they were good cooks & North Dakotans keep their food going!

My mom is an awesome (mostly self-taught) cook. One of the best things she cooks is her German Russian food. Below she made kneophla (dumpling) & kraut (sour kraut). It's a basic dish-- dumplings, sour kraut, sauted onion, and bread crumbs... but it's comfort food and super delicious.




There's a few German-Russian restaurants here in Bismarck, but one of the most well known is Kroll's Dinner. Good news, on Mondays, they offer Kraut Buttons (I'm guessing sour kraut & cheese buttons)!




I had dinner here and had cabbage rolls. Quite good and tasty!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: