Contributors

Green Smoothies and Pain

Since the birth of our first baby, I began to have some different neurological symptoms come up in my body. At first, i would see just sporadic numbness and tingling throughout my body. It was strange, but there was no pain or anything. Still I sought it out. 5 MRIs later, spinal taps, EMGs, many other tests and 6 1/2 years, they still don't know the source or cause. Shortly after the birth of our second daughter, my neurological issues got worse. A change from sporadic numbness and tingling, my hands and feet continue to grow more and more numb and lost strength. Also new this Spring, pins and needles headaches with pressure in the front. I also am extraordinarily tired each day, have cognitive delays and some other issues which may or may not be related.

And though my symptoms have progressed, I choose to not be afraid. For one, they cannot find a single thing wrong with me. Yes the way my body is communicating is saying something is going on, but through the many tests, nothing has come up irregular. But for two, I am making a choice to do something instead of sitting and waiting for my symptoms to take over me. And they still might get worse. In fact, my neurologist strongly encouraged me to consider not having any more children. There is a rule of thumb with symptoms like this and pregnancy, with 1/3 of cases symptoms get worse, 1/3 get better and 1/3 stay the same with pregnancy. And for me with each pregnancy, my symptoms have gotten worse. So, for us, choosing to welcome another baby into this word was a risk. BUT a good risk!

Anyways, here are the choices I've been making not to let the fear and pain of health concerns dictate my life:

  • Choosing life despite my symptoms (that means welcoming this baby, but also living life to the fullest every day)
  • Choosing hope (I will not give into fear, especially knowing nothing solid has been found wrong with me. I choose belief and faith)
  • Green Smoothies (For a long time, I've known things about eating well that I've chose to ignore. Not anymore. More below)


Starting last Spring when i was feeling my worst, another friend told me about how their life had changed doing Green Smoothies. I have heard this many times over, but for some reason remained skeptical. Then one day it occurred to me that nothing should be stopping me from at least trying green smoothies. It is not a scam, I'm just blending veggies... The worst it could do is that I could see no difference, but the best is that I could see some improvement.

There is a ton of evidence that you are what you eat and that what you consume does affect your body. Seems like such a simple principle but yet we think so often that it will take some complicated to eat well or we just want to continue to eat junk because we like it. I am not a health nut, i will never be a health nut... but what this has done for me is given me something I can do. And truthfully, I haven't noticed any significant difference. I do seem to have more energy and my attitude is definitely better... but it's all about choices!! You can always do something!

I am happy to continue to do Green Smoothies and feeling like I'm doing something. And after baby 3 is born, I'm going to continue to seek out what is going on with my body. Pray for me, too, that my symptoms would indeed improve and not continue to progress. And if you are interested in the world of Green Smoothies, check out greensmoothierevolution.com.

No comments: