Contributors

Learning to swim

With the hot temps, we have been in the pool at our apt complex much more. Our little Z really loves the pool, but is VERY clingy. She will hold either the edge of the pool, sit on the steps, or cling to one of us if it is off of the first step in. Even if she is wearing a life jacket.

We have been working with her to show her how to swim, holding her and letting her kick and paddle. Yesterday, we finally started pulling away and letting her float on her own with the life jacket. I would stand JUST out of reach (the jacket keeps her floating just fine, head well above the water) and she would whine a lot until she could grab on again. But, after a long while out there, the whining went down, as her confidence went up. By the end, she was 'swimming' back and forth between me and Becky, and as soon as she would get to one of us, immediately want to swim back to the other.

It was so much fun watching her get more confident, but as silly as it sounds, a small part of me glimpsed the future. All the times ahead that she will become more independant, do more things by herself, eventually letting herself float much farther from her mommy and daddy.
I don't have to worry about that for a while, but I know time goes fast. At least I can always focus on the fact that I was there in the beginning, teaching her to swim in the first place.

No comments: